Courtesy of Mountainland Technical College
HOSA Trip
May 13, 2024
Courtesy of Valencia Lanes
Valencia Lanes
May 7, 2024

New Mean Girls Movie

The highly anticipated 2024 adaptation of the original Mean Girls movie was released on January 12th, 2024. It is based on the Broadway musical which is based on the original movie. The Broadway musical touring from 2018 to 2020 was a success, with around 830 performances raking in about 125 million dollars. The movie premiere of this new movie was on January 8th in New York City.

The movie is one hour and fifty-two minutes long, its budget was 36 million dollars, and it has an audience rating of PG-13. Production of the movie was first announced in January 2020 with Lorne Micheals producing. Most of the filming occurred in Middletown Township, Monmouth County in New Jersey, from around March 2023 to April 2023. So far, the new adaptation has had neutral reviews and is rated 6.3/10 on IMDB (Internet Movie Database). However, the rating could change.

The starring cast in the new Mean Girls Movie is Angourie Rice, who plays Cady Heron; Avantika Vandanapu, who plays Karen Shetty; Bebe Wood, who plays Gretchen Weiners; and Reneé Rapp, who plays Regina George. The movie includes cameos from Megan Thee Stallion, an American rapper, former Dance Moms star Nia Sioux, and Lindsey Lohan, who played Cady Heron in the original 2004 Mean Girls movie, Christopher Briney, who played the role of jock, Aaron Samuels in the movie, also played the role of Conrad Fisher in the TV adaptation of The Summer I Turned Pretty.

We interviewed Mika Pickup, a 7th grader from team Tyger, and asked them about their opinion of the movie. Mika said she would love to rewatch the new Mean Girls movie because she loved the ending of it. Another question we asked Mika was, what was her favorite character? She said, “My favorite character was Regina George because she was stunning and was a great actress who had sass and played a great character with an amazing attitude.” The last question we asked Mika was if she thought the New movie was better than the original movie. She said, “No, I think the original is better because I didn’t like the singing.”

We also interviewed Aubrey Nguyen, a 7th grader from Team Tyger, asking her different questions about her opinion of the movie. In response to being asked if she had watched the original movie, Aubrey said she did. Also, when asked if she enjoyed the music in the recent movie, she said, “Not really, the characters are a little bit too  dramatic in the songs.” The final question we asked her was which was her least favorite character. She said Janis because “She is very judgemental and never takes any blame on her part.” People who enjoy musicals and drama would enjoy this movie even though we did not think highly of the movie ourselves. 

$75
$500

$75
$500