Victor Wembanyama
2023-2024 NBA season
April 11, 2024
(Courtesy of Nikki Calzada)
Pearl Harbor Memorial
April 11, 2024

Soda is Back in Vending Machines

Courtesy of Rio Norte

Students at Rio Norte and neighboring schools get bored having only water as an option to purchase during the school day. A new protocol has been put in place to add soda drinks to the vending machines of all Hart District schools to give students a choice in beverages. Money made through the purchase of soda beverages will go toward ASB activities and events at each school. The decision will not only make students hydrated during the school day, but improve the morale on campus. Sodas will be added to all vending machines  on Monday schools return from Spring Break, April 8, 2024.

Back in 2004, soda sales were banned on school campuses across the state. The idea to bring sodas back came from a board meeting, when parents mentioned that soda helps students work harder at school. According to WorldDailyNews, “Recent studies show that the carbonation in sodas like Coca Cola, Fanta, Dr. Pepper, and Sprite have given students an increase in energy and helped their work ethic throughout the six or seven hour school day.” Having soda can increase the energy of a student, uplift a person’s mind, and can hydrate students. Student’s at Rio, especially since most students are teenagers, most of student’s are tired and don’t fully wake up until 10am. Even after that, students are tired from being up late doing homework or any other activities. With drinking soda, it’ll give students an extra boost of energy to get through their next classes and have energy to get through the day. The parents brought up the idea and it was approved at the Hart District board meeting on Wednesday March 27. 

This change has been a long time coming. Over the past 20 years, students have lacked energy in classes and been deprived of soda during school days. The addition of soda drinks will have a variety options including: Coca Cola, Dr. Pepper, Fanta, Sprite, Mountain Dew and Root Beer, with possibly more. Each can of soda will cost $5.00. ASB events such as more dances, better Lunch Time Activities, and grade level fun days will be funded by soda purchases.

It is also noted to be a way to increase student wellness on campus. Giving more options of drinks that students enjoy will bring more positivity on campus. Even staff members are excited about the new vending machine addition. Rio Norte Assistant Principal Mr. Flores said, “I can’t wait for them to add my favorite flavor, Cherry Coke.” Staff and students will no longer have to go outside the campus to businesses like Albertsons to buy a drink. Now they can buy it here on campus and support school activities. Providing students and staff with options they enjoy will increase happiness. This was seen in the recent addition of spicy chips in the cafeteria. Students have been selling them out daily and the sodas are predicted to have the same outcome. Be on the lookout for the upgraded vending machines on April 8, 2024. 

*This is satirical Journalism in honor of April Fool’s Day. *

$75
$500

$75
$500