Victor Wembanyama
2023-2024 NBA season
April 11, 2024
(Courtesy of Nikki Calzada)
Pearl Harbor Memorial
April 11, 2024

What is March Madness?

Courtesy of NBC Connecticut
Courtesy of NBC Connecticut

“Success doesn’t stop when you get there” -Michael Jordan. As February makes way for March, fans tune in for one of the most thrilling series in American sports reaches its peak. March Madness, the term for the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Tournament, is set to elevate the nation once again with its blend of intense competition and bracket-busting upsets. For those who don’t know what March Madness is, it’s a men’s basketball tournament featuring 68 college teams from across the United States. Teams such as Houston, Purdue, Uconn and Tennessee compete in a single elimination tournament to determine the national champion. The tournament typically begins in mid-March and ends in early April, showcasing the best collegiate talent from across the nation. It is divided into four regions – East, West, Midwest, and South – with teams seeded based on their performance during the regular season.

The tournament is organized by The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The tournament kicks off with the Selection Sunday, where the 68 participating teams are unveiled and seeded by a selection committee. This marks the beginning of intense speculation and anticipation as fans and analysts predict the outcomes of matchups and fill out their brackets, hoping to accurately forecast the tournament’s progression.The tournament progresses through several rounds, starting with the First Four, followed by the first and second rounds, the Sweet Sixteen, the Elite Eight, and finally, the coveted Final Four. Each game is a high-stakes showdown, with teams battling fiercely for a chance to advance to the next round and ultimately secure a spot in the Final Four.

One of the most exciting aspects of March Madness is the underdog victories and unexpected upsets. Every year, lesser-known teams, “Cinderellas,” defy the odds and capture the hearts of fans with their remarkable performances. These Cinderella stories add an element of unpredictability and excitement to the tournament, as powerhouse programs are occasionally beat by lesser-known opponents, creating memorable moments that shock the world. 

For the teams that make it to the Final Four, the stakes are higher than ever as they play for a chance to compete in the national championship game. The Final Four weekend represents months of hard work and dedication, with teams leaving it all on the court in pursuit of college basketball’s ultimate prize. March Madness excites the realm of sports, captivating the nation’s attention among fans. It has become a cultural phenomenon, with millions of Americans tuning in to watch the games, participate in bracket challenges, and raise the excitement of the tournament. Fans like Prannel Yada say, “ It’s a really fun and exciting time in basketball. The adrenaline especially in the Final Four is like no other, in my opinion I think March Madness is better than the NBA finals”.

Beyond the brackets and the scores, March Madness serves as a reminder of the magic that unfolds when determination meets opportunity. It’s not just about who cuts down the nets, but the journey of every team and player. As March Madness comes to an end, fans await the next knowing that its legacy will continue to inspire generations to come. 

$75
$500

$75
$500