The Chihuahua Dog Breed

The Chihuahua Dog Breed
Emily Golan

The Chihuahua is an adorable, athletic,and smart dog. There’s a lot of personality and attitude packed into that compacted body. Chihuahuas are a type of dog breed which originated from the country of Mexico. They are named after a state called “Chihuahua” which is located in the northern parts of Mexico. These adorable dogs are known for their tiny size, big round eyes, and big hearts and personalities. When a lot of people look at a Chihuahua, the first thing that would come to their mind is the stereotype of being aggressive and somewhat violent, however not all Chihuahuas are like this. Some of them are very playful while some are calm and lazy. However, a possible reason why Chihuahuas show aggressiveness is due to anxiety, or to show dominance. This adorable, small yet playful breed can commonly be seen with black, brown, cream, or even red fur tones and color(s)!

Energy 

Chihuahuas are highly known for their playful energy, they are considered to be one of the many most energetic dog breeds. This energetic behavior/personality is often shown  with tail wagging, jumping, or another popular action which people refer to as the “zoomies.” Basically, the “zoomies” is demonstrated when a dog experiences sudden bursts of energy usually as a sign of happiness which includes running around frenetically, commonly in circles. They usually last a few minutes or less. This can be a pretty funny thing to see especially for the owners because seeing the sight knowing your dog is happy is a pretty enjoyable thing. Though in some cases, owners may have trouble calming down their Chihuahua or any dog in general when they may get too hyper or spiral out of control. Some strategies to help calm Chihuahuas down is taking them for a walk or any other physical activity. This will not only tire them out eventually but will also help them find a way to use their energy in a way that doesn’t require too much chaos and maybe somewhat disturbance.

Stereotypes vs. Reality

A lot of people assume when they see a chihuahua they would think they have a rough and aggressive personality. While this is true in some cases, it’s not true for all chihuahuas. While these small dogs have big personalities, they can vary from feisty and outgoing to shy and timid. A lot of people here at Rio Norte have a pet chihuahua or maybe have a friend who does, one of the students being 8th grader Rajanya Konar says “Chihuahuas are small sized dogs so it would be easier to take care of. They also have really fun and cute personalities. Another good thing about them is that they have a long lifespan. Overall, a great dog to be around.” Another stereotype chihuahuas get a lot is that they are known for barking and yipping constantly however, this is unlikely for some chihuahuas as they can be very quiet but sometimes bark or start yipping when they get excited for something or while they’re playing around.

History and Origin 

The chihuahua breed was first discovered in the mid-19th century in the state of what was named after the dog breed Chihuahua, Mexico which is located in the northern parts of the country. The Aztecs, which are a group of people who lived in the land of Mexico before the country got its name and recognition, worshiped chihuahuas. Chihuahuas were bred by the Aztecs as holy animals and even today our energetic furry friends are still treasured by their loving owners and strong bond.

Chihuahuas have very good intelligence and they are fiercely loyal to the people they love (their owners), and they will accompany their owners anywhere and everywhere.

$75
$500

$75
$500