Courtesy of Mountainland Technical College
HOSA Trip
May 13, 2024
Courtesy of Valencia Lanes
Valencia Lanes
May 7, 2024

NFL Week 1 Recaps

Courtesy of Youtube TV

The 2023-2024 football season is under way and here is how week  one went. There were many thrilling games that ended in nail biters. With these games coming up it looks like we are going to have a great football season. Thursday night was an amazing start to the season with the Kansas City Chiefs versus Detroit Lions game.

The Chiefs Vs Lions

The Chiefs would go into this game with a disadvantage since star player Travis Kelce was injured and star defensive tackler Chris Jones didn’t re-sign with the Chiefs. The game started off with a 9 yard passing touchdown for the Lions’ receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown. This was quickly followed up with a touchdown for the Chiefs. When Rashee Rice caught a wide open pass, making the score 7-7, with 2 minutes left in the second quarter the Chiefs got the ball back. Patrick Mahomes stormed the Chiefs’ downfield when, with  only 34 seconds left in the second quarter. Blake Bell caught a 4 yard pass for a touchdown. This meant that the Chiefs had a 7-14 lead going into the second half. In the third quarter, Mahomes threw a pass to Kadarious Toney (Chiefs’ Wide Receiver) that bounced off his hands for an interception by number 32, Brian Branch. He then ran 50 yards and took it to the house for a pick six. A pick six is when there is an interception and the player runs for a touchdown. Tied the game 14-14. The Chiefs got two field goals making the score 14-20. The Lions got the ball and never looked back as David Montgomery would run the ball in for a touchdown, making the score 21-20 giving the Lions the lead. This lead would hold, giving the Lions the win.

Chargers vs Dolphins

This game would depend on if Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa was hurt or not from a prior injury. The game started off with a goal line rushing touchdown for Chargers running back Austin Ekeler, making the score 0-7. Three minutes after this, a 2 yard rushing touchdown for Dolphins running back Raheem Mostert would tie the game 7-7 going into the second quarter. A 23 yard field goal by Dolphins kicker Jason Sanders would make the game 10-7. The Chargers would answer back with a one yard passing touchdown to receiver Donald Parham Jr. The game would go back and forth with a touchdown for the Dolphins, a field goal for the Chargers, and then a field goal for the Dolphins. This made the game 20-17, the Dolphins going into the second half. The Chargers quarterback, Justin Herbert, would run the ball in for a 1 yard touchdown. With two minutes left in the third the Dolphins quarterback would launch one up for receiver Tyreek Hill. He would come down with it for a 35 yard touchdown, making the score 27-24 with the Dolphins in the lead going into the fourth quarter. The two teams would score field goals, two for the Chargers, and one for the Dolphins. The Dolphins would score a touchdown with a minute and 45 seconds to go. They would miss the extra point making the score 36-34 Dolphins. The Chargers wouldn’t score however, and the Dolphins would win the game, Tua’s injury didn’t seem to matter.

Courtesy of Youtube TV

Other games included the Jets beating the Bills 22-16 in an overtime finish. In this game, Jets’ quarterback Aaron Rodgers tore his achilles on the 4th play making him out for the year. The Browns would upset the Bengals winning 24-3. The Cowboys would destroy the Giants winning 40-0. The Commanders made it close with the Cardinals but the Commanders would come out with the win 16-20. The Raiders beat the Broncos 17-16, the Colts lost to the Jaguars 21-31, the Rams beat the Seahawks 30-13, and the Packers beat the Bears 38-20. Lastly, the 49ers also destroyed the Steelers winning 30-7. This is what Rio Norte thinks about week one.

7th grade history teacher Mr Sheridan was asked what he thought about week one. He said “I think there were a lot of surprises with teams winning and upsets. There were also a lot of injuries like Aaron Rodgers tearing his achilles.” He was then asked what his favorite team is and how did he feel about that? His response was “I’m a Raiders fan and I was pretty happy that we won, but my son was not.” 

Cooper Rzewuski, a 7th grader at Rio Norte was asked what his opinions on week on were? His response was “I think it went pretty bad because there weren’t many close games and also there were a lot of upsets.” He was then asked how his team did? He said “As a Chargers fan I was pretty mad because we should have beat the Dolphins.”

All in all, week one of the NFL was insane. There were so many upsets which made it so exciting. This year in the NFL will be one to remember. Who will win it all is a question everyone is wondering. 

$75
$500

$75
$500