Shohei Ohtani breaks Hideki Matsui’s record

Courtesy of Clutch Points
Hideki Matsui next to Shohei Ohtani

Shohei Ohtani, the Japanese all-star, recently engraved his name in baseball history by surpassing Hideki Matsui’s record for the most home runs hit by a Japanese player. Matsui’s record of 175 home runs was a milestone fans thought wouldn’t be broken until Ohtani broke it on Sunday, April 23, 2024, in a game against the New York Mets. Both Ohtani and Matsui achieved this milestone after seven years in the league, securing their places as the best Japanese players in Major League Baseball (MLB) history.

Ohtani’s unique blend as a pitcher and designated hitter (DH),  also know as a two-way player, sets him apart in the MLB. Beginning his professional baseball career with the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters in the Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB) league, Ohtani later transitioned to the MLB when he signed with the Los Angeles Angels. After a successful six-years with the Angels, he was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers, where he currently plays. In just 18 games with the Dodgers, Ohtani has an impressive .338 batting average and a 1.048 OPS (on-base plus slugging percentage).

Hideki Matsui, also known as “Godzilla” for his powerful presence at the plate, is a legendary figure in both Japanese and Major League Baseball history. Born in Ishikawa, Japan, Matsui began his professional career with the Yomiuri Giants in the Nippon Professional Baseball league, where he achieved lots of success, earning three Central League MVP awards. In 2003, he made a  transition to the MLB when he signed with the New York Yankees, quickly becoming a fan favorite with his clutch hitting and solid defense. Throughout his career, Matsui displayed remarkable consistency and durability, delivering impressive offensive performances and contributing to the Yankees’ World Series victory in 2009, where he was named the World Series MVP. Beyond his on-field accomplishments, Matsui’s professionalism, humility, and dedication to the game earned him admiration and respect, solidifying him as one of the most iconic Japanese players at the MLB stage.

Throughout his MLB career, Ohtani has garnered numerous awards, including MVP awards, the Edgar Martinez Award, All-MLB team, Major League Baseball Player of the Month honors, Players Choice Awards, Cy Young, Silver Slugger Awards, and the Hank Aaron Award. After a interview with our campus supervisor Mr. Tim here’s what he had to say, “ I think it’s pretty awesome to see this, having a player like Ohtani making such a big mark on History is really cool to watch. He definitely has the potential to be the best of all time”. His impact extends beyond the field, by the surge of over 1.8 million new viewers drawn to the Los Angeles Dodgers and the MLB since his arrival. Ohtani’s influence has effects across the world, much like other Japanese stars such as Ichiro Suzuki and Hideo Nomo, who have introduced new fans and cultures to the MLB. With his remarkable talent and global appeal, Ohtani continues to leave a mark on the baseball world.

$75
$500

$75
$500