Courtesy of HGTV
Home Growing Foods
May 28, 2024

Quiet On Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV

Courtesy of Variety
Courtesy of Variety

Quiet On Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV is a five part documentary series about the horrifying events that happened behind the scenes of Nickelodeon shows run by writer and producer, Dan Schneider. The first two episodes were released on the streaming service Max, on March 17, 2024, followed by episodes three and four, which were dropped a day later. The last episode, Breaking the Silence, was aired on Investigation Discovery on April 7, at 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, and later became available to stream on Max.

Quiet On Set starts out by talking about Dan Schneider’s rise to power as well as child star Amanda Bynes’ acting career and questionable relationship with Schneider. The show also talks about the experiences of writers on the shows and other child stars, some of the problems being Schneider’s mental and emotional abuse, alleged sexual harassment, sexism, predatorial behaviors, and the sexualization of kids, especially young girls. The docu-series contains interviews from the following childstars: Katrina Johnson, Alexa Nikolas, Leon Frierson, Bryan Hearne, Raquel Lee Bolleau, Shan Lyons, Giovonnie Samuals, Kyle Sullivan, and Drake Bell, who is the most talked about interviewee on the show.

In the documentary, Bell reveals himself as the “John Doe” child star who was abused by dialogue coach and recurring actor on The Amanda Show, Brian Peck. Drake Bell, who started out as an actor on “The Amanda Show” and later starred on his own show “Drake and Josh,” was sexually abused by Peck at his home in L.A. multiple times when he was just 15 years old. When asked to describe the abuse, Bell said, “Why don’t you think of the worst stuff that someone could do to somebody as a sexual

Courtesy of Entertainment Weekly

assault, and then I’ll answer your question. I don’t know how else to put it.” When Bell finally went to the police, Peck was finally arrested on 11 charges and pleaded no contest to two of them. Despite this, he only served 16 months in prison.

In an interview on “Tameron Hall” SNL (Saturday Night Live) cast member and former “Kenan and Kel” star, Kenan Thompson shared his thoughts on Quiet On Set. The “All That” star said that despite Schneider’s role on his shows, he wasn’t often seen on set, so he didn’t see or experience much “negativity” because these things started happening after he left Nickelodeon. Despite this, Thompson added “My heart goes out to anybody that’s been victimized or their families.” He also remarked on how important it is for people to share their stories to spread awareness of what goes on behind the scenes of kids shows and that people need to “investigate more.”

Dan Schneider did an interview talking about Quiet On Set, mentioning his past behaviors. In the interview Schneider says, “When I watched the show, I could see the hurt in some people’s eyes, and it made me feel awful and regretful and sorry.” He also said that he doesn’t understand how people could criticize him for being sexist or racist because he feels that his shows were very diverse. He also stated that the perception that he could do whatever he wanted on his shows was completely wrong and that the jokes, wardrobe, and everything else on his shows were approved by the network.

Overall, Quiet On Set shines a light on what goes on behind the scenes of kids shows. It is important to bring awareness to the bad things that have happened, because if we do this, we can learn to prevent these things from happening again. If you want to learn more about sketchy events that have happened at Nickelodeon, watch Quiet On Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV on Max or the Investigation Discovery network.

$75
$500

$75
$500