Benefits of Sleep

(Courtesy of Harvard Gazette)

As a teenager, you need lots of sleep to function, balancing off school and any extra activities. Even though sleep is important, some teenagers like to stay up late, staying up doing other things instead of sleeping. Here are some benefits of sleeping. Some examples are promoting growth, boosting memory and learning, helps germs get away from our immune system.

A single night of no sleep will not stunt growth. But over the long term, a person’s growth may be affected by not getting enough sleep. That’s because growth hormone is normally released during sleep. If someone consistently gets too little sleep, the growth hormone is lowered. 7-8 hours for younger children is very important for not only growth but for their being able to learn at school the next day and fully understand.

Not sleeping or getting enough sleep can lower your learning abilities by as much as 40%.Some sources say getting 2 hours of sleep is better than pulling an all-nighter. Not only does it make you feel awful but research shows that it could impair the brain. Also, lack of sleep could increase the chance of getting alzheimer’s or other diseases later in your life. For adults, getting less than seven hours of sleep a night regularly has been linked with poor health, including weight gain, having a body mass index of 30 or higher, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, and depression.

Sleeping helps get rid of germs because your immune system releases proteins called cytokines, some of which help promote sleep. Certain cytokines need to increase when you have an infection or inflammation, or when you’re under stress. Sleep deprivation may decrease production of these protective cytokines. It also helps get rid of infection when you’re sick by sleeping. Sleep is like a medicine that helps you have a faster recovery from whatever sickness you have. So, when you have a cold, infection, something like covid, or anything else. 

Sleep helps benefit many more things than just tiredness, science being able to back that up. Sleep is very important, and trying to do daily activities without sleep will be very difficult. Sleep is one of the most important things you can do in a day, and it’s best to make sure you do get enough sleep a day.

$75
$500

$75
$500