Victor Wembanyama
2023-2024 NBA season
April 11, 2024
(Courtesy of Nikki Calzada)
Pearl Harbor Memorial
April 11, 2024

Foods With Artifitial Dyes Might Be Getting Banned in California Schools

Courtesy of 11Alive

Some popular snacks like Hot Cheetos and Takis might soon be off-limits in schools across California due to a proposed bill in Congress. This bill aims to restrict foods containing artificial dyes, which are believed to have negative effects on health. If the bill passes, students won’t be allowed to bring these snacks to school anymore.

The concern about these dyes stems from their vibrant colors, which are intended to catch people’s attention. Lawmakers worry that these artificial colors could harm the developing brains of children. The chemicals used in these dyes might interfere with the growth and function of young, developing brains.

Recently, the school cafeteria has been selling hot chips for $1 each. However, if the bill becomes law, these chips won’t be available for sale anymore because most spicy chips contain banned dyes. Nevertheless, students can still enjoy them at home or elsewhere. The cafeteria must abide by the nutritional guidelines set by the state of California.

Although the ban isn’t in place yet, it’s expected to come into effect soon. Once implemented, several popular snacks and beverages will be prohibited in schools. These include items like Hot Cheetos, Doritos, M&Ms, sports drinks, some juices, and sodas. Students will need to find alternative snacks that meet the new regulations.

$75
$500

$75
$500