Courtesy of HGTV
Home Growing Foods
May 28, 2024

Friendsgiving: What Is Or What Isn’t

Joyful, grateful, and appreciative – these words perfectly capture the sentiment of sharing a lavish feast with friends, a tradition known as Friendsgiving. Distinct from Thanksgiving, where familial ties take center stage, Friendsgiving offers an alternative celebration exclusively dedicated to friendship, often observed a few days before or after the customary Thanksgiving day.

The inception of Friendsgiving traces back to 2007, with speculation that the hit TV show Friends played a pivotal role in popularizing the concept. It arose from a desire for individuals to choose the company of friends over family during the Thanksgiving holiday. Additionally, Friendsgiving was conceived as a means to alleviate potential tensions that might arise during family dinners, including arguments and other disruptions. This unique celebration not only enhances friendships but also fosters a sense of closeness, akin to the bonds shared by family members.

For those contemplating hosting their own Friendsgiving, here are essential rules to ensure a successful and enjoyable event. Firstly, the host and their group of friends need to decide on the venue for this festive gathering. Following that, the host takes charge of logistical details such as the timing and date. The third step involves the host providing instructions to each friend regarding what they should bring a couple of days before the feast. Finally, friends converge at the host’s house, each bringing their culinary creations, ready to share in the joyous occasion.

Now let’s hear what 7th grader Hope Doetzl, an enthusiastic student who embraces the spirit of gratitude this season has to say about friendsgiving. When asked about the celebration, she said, “Yes. That is because it is a fun time to spend with friends.” In response to whether Friendsgiving undermines the purpose of Thanksgiving, she explained, “No, because Thanksgiving is family, and Friendsgiving is with friends.” Hope believes that celebrating both holidays isn’t too much of a hassle, stating, “No, and that would be because I can always make food again, and I love cooking.” When asked if she’d be willing to host a Friendsgiving this year, Hope replied, “I would, but it might not work out because I have a lot of things I do besides going to school.” As for the menu, Hope enthusiastically shared, “Pumpkin pie would for sure be the food I would make if I were to host a Friendsgiving.”

During the holiday season, a palpable sense of happiness pervades the air. Friendsgiving offers a wonderful opportunity to forge deeper connections with friends and revel in the joy of shared moments. With these tips and rules in mind, may you embark on your Friendsgiving adventure, creating lasting memories and strengthening the bonds that make this season truly special.

$75
$500

$75
$500