Hispanic Heritage Month: Mexican Musician Peso Pluma

Image Courtesy of Billboard

Born and raised in Guadalajara, Mexico, singer and musician Peso Pluma (also nicknamed Double P) continues to thrive in creating a pathway for the next generation of Mexican Artists. He also continues to draw inspiration through his genres of music that include Regional Mexican and Latin Urban. 

Peso Pluma is widely known for his most listened to and popular song titled “Ella Baila Sola”, which translates in English to, “She Dances Alone”, who he had performed with another Mexican musician who goes by the name Eslabon Armado. The popular song has made history by making the top 10 popular songs in the United States with over 897 million listeners as of this summer of 2023. Peso Pluma has gained over 51 million monthly listeners on Spotify, and his  most popular album, titled “GÉNESIS”, which means an origin, creation, or beginning, has over 1.1 million listeners. Some songs in the album include “TULUM”, “LUNA”, “LAGUANAS”, and much more! It’s not just the U.S. that listens to Peso Pluma, people and countries around the Spanish-speaking world listen to him too! Countries like Mexico, Columbia, and Chile listen to this artist with an average of 1 million listeners or more. One of Peso Plumas solo song(s) titled “Bye” is skyrocketing, soon to reach 200 million listeners!

8th grade student Rajanya Konar says “Bye is a great song. The tune of the song and the words really match and make it addictive. But, I feel like the vocals could be better and a variety of voice levels could have been used instead of a monotone voice for most of the time. Ella Baila Sola has an amazing rhythm to it. The way the different tunes and vocal ranges are used make it a good song.”

Peso Pluma does multiple collaborations with other Mexican musicians as well. Some of the people Peso Pluma collaborated with include Natanael Cano in a song called “PRC.” He has also collaborated with Tornillo, Polo Gonzalez, Junior H, Karol G, and many more.

For those who know Peso Pluma, did you know that before he started creating music, he originally had a dream of becoming a professional soccer player as a kid? However growing up, he was also really into other Mexican artists, and is now what he is today–the most streamed artist in Mexico. Even today, Peso Pluma continues to inspire a lot of people with his catchy music not just from Hispanic origin, but around the world too.

$75
$500

$75
$500