Courtesy of HGTV
Home Growing Foods
May 28, 2024

Honoring Sacrifice: The Significance of Memorial Day

Courtesy of History.com

As the days grow longer and the days of summer draw closer, the last Monday of May brings a significant occasion in the United States, Memorial Day. Beyond the barbecues, beach outings, and long weekends, this day holds significance, serving as a reminder of the sacrifices made by those who have laid down their lives in service of their country. Originally known as Decoration Day, Memorial Day emerged in 1971. It was a time when communities across the country gathered to decorate the graves of fallen soldiers with flowers, an act of remembrance and gratitude for their sacrifice. Over time, this tradition turned into what we know now as  Memorial Day. A national holiday dedicated to honoring the men and women who have died in all conflicts throughout American history.

The first ever Decoration day was held on May 30, 1868. Congressman James Garfield made a speech at Arlington National Cemetery. It inspired 5,000 people to go to the cemetery and decorate over 20,000 soldiers’ graves. This event led to people across the country making efforts to honor the fallen. People held gatherings at local cemeteries to pay their respects. During the late 1800’s many states recognized Decoration day as an official holiday, and many more people were beginning to celebrate.  Following the World Wars, Decoration became a day to honor all fallen soldiers, thus its name changed from ‘Decoration day’ to ‘Memorial day’. Years later in 1971 Congress Established Memorial day to be the last Monday of May. Ever since, Americans have been honoring the fallen soldiers on the last Monday of May.

However, nowadays most people acknowledge Memorial day as a day off of school or work. Some ways to celebrate are to decorate graves of soldiers, take a moment of silence at 3pm, and celebrate at community ceremonies. It’s a day to ensure that the sacrifices of the fallen are never unrecognized and that their legacy lives on in the nation they served with their life. If anyone knows the true meaning of Memorial Day it’s a fellow 7th grader, Peyton Colgan, he says, “ The meaning of Memorial Day is something people don’t understand. This is more celebration, it’s an honor. It really doesn’t get the attention it deserves because without those men and women, we wouldn’t be standing on this land right now”.

Memorial Day serves as a reminder that freedom is not free. It is a precious gift, given with blood, sweat and tears of those who’ve given their all. So, as we gather on this day, let us honor their memory, cherish their sacrifice and honor the values for which they fought and died for.

$75
$500

$75
$500