Courtesy of HGTV
Home Growing Foods
May 28, 2024

Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Courtesy of Instagram
Courtesy of Instagram

Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month (AAPIHM) reflects and celebrates the important role that Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders have played in our shared history. Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month is observed in the United States during the month of May; it is a time to celebrate the culture, history, and achievements of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders across the country. 

Cultures 

AAPIHM centers around many cultures from around the world and are not just recognized here in the United States, but also other countries too. These recognition’s include Chinese culture, Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese, Hawaiian and much more. 

Courtesy of Pinterest

Chinese – Asian Culture

People of Chinese culture value harmony, family, honesty, loyalty, and wisdom. A popular symbol in Chinese culture that you’ve probably heard of is the Yin and Yang symbol. In the symbol, Yin is represented by the color black and yang, white. The concept or philosophy of this symbol shows a balance between two opposites with a portion of the opposite element in each section. The “Yin” side of the symbol represents dark, cold, weak, passive, and quiet characteristics, while the “Yang” side represents light, hot, strong, awake, and active characteristics. A real life example to represent the Yin and Yang symbol would be calmness and anger. 

Hawaiian – Pacific Islander

Different from Chinese culture, Hawaiian culture values compassion for others, love, affection, kindness, and responsibility. One widely known cultural value in Hawaii is the Hawaiian term “aloha.” More than just a greeting or salutation, aloha is a way to life. More specifically, meaning unconditional love, happiness, and joy. A cultural symbol that plays a part of Hawaiian culture is the hibiscus flower. With its beautiful imagery, the hibiscus flower represents beauty, love, and nature. You’d see this as a common accessory that people wear in Hawaii as a clip in their hair. Women who wear this flower behind their left ear mean that they’re married or in a relationship. 

Courtesy of Plant Clearence

AAPIHM Cultures at Rio 

Here at Rio Norte, our school is made up of diversity and of many backgrounds among students. Among these many backgrounds, a few students were willing to share their culture and importance to AAPIHM. 8th grader Alexandria Pacete shares, “I have roots from the Philippines, both of my parents are Filipino. My heritage influenced what language I speak at home, as well as what foods I eat at home.” Diving deeper into her cultural experiences, Alexandria shares some of her valued traditions which is respecting elders. She also adds, “We send goods and gifts to our family at home, and we hold parties.” Alexandria shares her influences in her life that have created her a new path to exploring unique cultures such as her own. She says, “My role models would be my parents and my family. I also like how unique our heritage is and the benefits that come with it.” Family is a common but yet very valuable thing in any culture. Having them to guide you along the way of learning more about your own background and teaching you along the way can also create heart-warming memories. 

Another 8th grade student here at Rio Norte offered to share their views on this honorable month. Jessica Myint shares, “I think that being part of the Asian American community is pretty cool. I mean, the only thing is the racial stereotypes. Usually, I can laugh it off, but sometimes it gets annoying.” Celebrating AAPIHM is about appreciating the cultures that have played a role in today’s society as one planet. This is a time to push the hate aside and bring peace among communities whether it’s AAPIHM, or just an ordinary day. With that, Jessica adds, “I think being Burmese is really important to me. Like I get it, I want to be ‘American’ like other kids, but my culture will always be a part of me.” It’s always important to appreciate where you’re from and the uniqueness that comes with it. To add on, Jessica adds, “We celebrate (or used to) Thinjan, which is basically a week of people having water balloon/gun fights. It’s super fun too.” Jessica shares who has been a role model to her when it comes to her culture. She says, “My friends have been a big influence on my culture. One in particular being Kooleen.” Something that brings Jessica joy about her culture is being able to show off her Burmese heritage to others. She adds, “And the thing is, not many people know about Burma, so it’s cool.” Burma, now called Myanmar, is a country in Southeastern Asia. Jessica concludes, “Asian American Pacific Islander Month, to me, means someone just doesn’t see me as ‘Asian’ but as Burmese.” 

Whether it’s Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month or not, it’s always important to appreciate the different cultures among one another and always celebrate it when given the chance. 

$75
$500

$75
$500