Victor Wembanyama
2023-2024 NBA season
April 11, 2024
(Courtesy of Nikki Calzada)
Pearl Harbor Memorial
April 11, 2024

3 Science Experiments That You Can Do At Your Home

Elephant Toothpaste done by Bryce Bumler

Most science experiments can’t be done at home, so think about being able to do science without leaving home. What about turning your kitchen or living room into a cool lab where you do experiments?  So get ready for a home science adventure that’s both exciting and easy.  Conducting science experiments at home, such as creating Elephant Toothpaste, a DIY compass, and a homemade lava lamp, not only brings the excitement of the lab into your living room but also makes cool things happen with simple ingredients.

Elephant Toothpaste

The first experiment is Elephant Toothpaste, in which a foam tube erupts from a container. This experiment requires one empty 20 ounce bottle, 3% hydrogen peroxide, one packet of active yeast, liquid dishwashing detergent, warm water, and food coloring(optional). First, pour 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup dishwashing soap, and food coloring into the bottle, and gently mix the bottle to combine the ingredients. Put the bottle in a place where it is okay to get messy. Next,  mix a packet of active yeast with warm water in a separate container. Give the yeast about five minutes to activate before moving on. Finally, when you are all ready to experiment, pour the yeast mixture into the bottle. The reaction will occur instantly so be ready.

Diy compass 

This next experiment is a DIY compass, which will line up with the Earth’s magnetic field so you can tell the direction. For this experiment, you will need a decent-sized sewing needle, a cork, a magnet, a bowl, water, and pliers. Step one is to magnetize your needle, you can do this by rubbing the magnet along all sides of the needle about 50 times. For step two, take note of which side of the needle you have magnetized and do the same thing to the other side of the needle. For step three, cut your cork so it is about one-half inch thick. Then you push the needle through the center of the cork and use the pliers to help. After that is done fill a bowl with a few inches of water. Finally, place the compass in the bowl, it should point itself north. If it is accurate, write north, east, south, and west on the top of the cork. 

Lava Lamp 

This last experiment is a lava lamp which works much like the ones you can buy. You will need an empty water bottle, your choice of oil, water food coloring, and Alka-Seltzer. First, take your water bottle and fill it halfway with the oil you chose. Then fill it the rest of the way with water. Next, add a few drops of food coloring, it will color the water. Finally, break your Alka-Seltzer into small pieces and watch the bottle erupt into activity. When the activity slows down add another piece of your Alka-Seltzer.   

Now you have three easy science experiments that you can easily do at your house. These hands-on activities make learning science fun and allow you to explore the wonders of the scientific world from the comfort of your home. Grab your lab coat, embark on a home science adventure, and witness the magic of science right in your living room or kitchen.

$75
$500

$75
$500