Victor Wembanyama
2023-2024 NBA season
April 11, 2024
(Courtesy of Nikki Calzada)
Pearl Harbor Memorial
April 11, 2024

Does Social Media Have Enough Security?

Courtesy of Article19

Many students use social media like Snpachat, Tiktok, X (formerly called Twitter), and Instagram are some of the most popular social media platforms that teenagers and parents might be using. Do these social media apps have enough security for children and teens to use safely though?

Social media is a place where you are able to share a lot about your life. Many people would say that social media is usually an unsafe place. For instance, sometimes people blackmail other people and can get your personal information. Blackmail is when someone uses a secret or something you’re embarrassed about to use you to do things. Most people in the United States use these social media sites in their daily lives. According to the National Center for State Courts, “With roughly 72% of Americans using social media platforms like Facebook, X,  YouTube, and others have become essential communication tools.” This shows that social media is a part of society and with those people using it, there is bound to be people with bad intentions. 

In 2021 there were over 80 cases on social media that involved drug trafficking. Many drug dealers turn to social media. They usually hide drugs through harmless medicine. People can use emojis and code to post online with other people knowing what it means. Many people do bad things when they know that they can easily get away with it. People think that they have a shield because they have a different name on social media. It makes the crime rate in social media go higher. If it was mandatory for you to use your real name for social media, the crime rate would go down.

The CEO of Facebook was testified to how they would stop the cyber bullying. Mark Zuckerburg said, “I’m sorry for everything you have all been through. No one should go through the things that your families have suffered,” he said, adding that Meta continues to invest and work on “industry wide efforts” to protect children.” Facebook and other social media companies are spending billions of dollars to try and create the safest environment for their users.

$75
$500

$75
$500