Courtesy of HGTV
Home Growing Foods
May 28, 2024

The Solar Parasol

Courtesy of New York Times

As climate change becomes a growing issue, scientists have started developing different and new strategies to combat it. One of these strategies is putting a sun shade in space. This sun shade will help climate change by shielding some of the sun’s rays.  While this may be a good solution two other major problems occur: Cost and getting it into space.

The new way scientists are going to try to combat climate change is with a solar parasol. In 1998 James Early suggested the idea of a solar parasol. This parasol will shade the Earth from the Sun’s rays. Even if the parasol blocks 2 percent of the sun’s rays, this will still lower the temperature by 1.5 degrees Celsius or 34.7 degrees Fahrenheit. This could help the ecosystems affected by climate change and save animals facing extinction. For example, corals are being damaged due to climate change because of rising sea levels bringing more sediment. Also, due to climate change, the ice is melting faster, and polar bears are starting to lose their habitats.

The problem with the space parasol is bringing it into space. The space parasol would be roughly the size of Argentina. Putting it into space would be a challenge, so the scientists will have to launch it in a rocket and connect it in space. While the cost and the construction of it would be problems on their own, the solar shield will also not be safe in space. It could be damaged by asteroids or other floating objects, and the cost will probably be in the trillions and getting it into space would be a problem as the shade is very large and would be hard to fit inside a rocket.

The space parasol, while being a good idea, still poses its own problems. It could help stop climate change, which is becoming a growing problem over the years. It has affected the ecosystems and animals of earth and has even affected us. While this idea might not be the best, there are many more that could help stop our planet from climate change.

$75
$500

$75
$500