Victor Wembanyama
2023-2024 NBA season
April 11, 2024
(Courtesy of Nikki Calzada)
Pearl Harbor Memorial
April 11, 2024

The NBA Dunk Contest

Cutesy of AT&T
Cutesy of AT&T

In recent years the dunk contest has been nothing but a failure, year after year players that have little to no right to be there miss and miss and miss and it has been hard to watch, luckily Mac McClung recently blew it up with his 540° dunk that blew the NBA out of the water, but still for years before this contest has been brushed aside because of how boring it is, the only really good years where it was worth watching was 2023 and 2016. All of this comes to show why we should expand the invite outside of the NBA itself.

that the Dunk contest would be so cool if we invited other renowned dunkers outside of the NBA, like Jordan Kilangon, Isaiah Rivera, Jordan Clark, etc. I think these people could make the NBA Dunk Contest a lot more interesting, but let me explain what the dunk contest is first. The Dunk contest is a contest where multiple players selected by the NBA play in a contest where they have to do their best dunks in front of 5 judges who rate the dunk 1-50, and in the end, the winner will get a massive trophy of a golden basketball on a platform with “NBA Slam Dunk Champion” on it.

But besides that the NBA Dunk Contest has been around for a pretty long time, the first one spanning back to 1976, and the dunk contest was watchable for a while, when Michael Jordan came into the league it was more than watchable, then Vince carter, Zack Lavine, Aaron Gordon, and Mcclung, But all of these dunks have been almost decades apart and sometimes even more than that, that we could have good and even great Dunk Contests consistently, Not only would this be great to watch, but it would be great for the NBA because the dunk contest would have higher demand, and they could make more money. So everybody wins.

Again, the NBA Dunk Contest could be so much better if we could just expand it further than the NBA. With one little adjustment that would cost the NBA very little we could have better dunk contests all around.

$75
$500

$75
$500