Courtesy of Mountainland Technical College
HOSA Trip
May 13, 2024
Courtesy of Valencia Lanes
Valencia Lanes
May 7, 2024

How to Raise Happy and Healthy Chickens

Courtesy+of+Bryce+Bulmer+
Courtesy of Bryce Bulmer

If you have ever wanted to raise chickens but did not know how? Well in this article you will learn all you need to know about raising chickens. First before you do anything you will need to find the types of chickens you want. Then you will need to research to see if the chickens you want  are right for your environment. Once  you have found the right chickens for your environment, the next step is to get a brooder box. 

For a brooder box you can either buy one or make one. If you choose to buy one they can cost anywhere from $50 to $500+, for just the brooder box. If you want to build one it is as easy as buying wood and making a box which might cost like $20 depending on the size. You will also need to buy a heat lamp so they don’t freeze, a feeder(to provide food), a waterer(something that provides water), wood shavings, and chick feed. When the chicks are still small you will need to put rocks in the chicks water trough so they don’t drown. Next you will need to get a chicken coop, you can put your chickens in your coop once they are fully feathered. This will usually take 5-6 weeks. 

Chicken coops are almost the same as brooder boxes, they are just bigger. Just like the brooder box you can buy a coop or build one. They cost you about upwards of $500 or more to buy one for a decent size. To build one they cost about the same depending on how fancy you make it. One good thing about building one, though, is that you can customize it to how you like. For the coop you will just need bigger waterers, bigger feeders, and more wood chips. Some new things that your chicken coop will need are nesting boxes, roosting bars( for the chickens to sleep on), and some toys if you choose. 

It will still be around another 6 months until your chickens lay eggs depending on the breed. Some toys you can add to your coop are spinning tires, branches for chickens to stand on, xylophones, mirrors, and many more. You can also introduce treats to your chickens at 4-5 weeks of age. Some treats they will love are mealworms, frozen corn, watermelon, table scraps, strawberries, apples, and seed blocks. Using all the information in this article, I hope you can raise some happy and healthy chickens. 

$75
$500

$75
$500