Rio Norte’s Favorite Social Media

Courtesy of Freepik

Courtesy of Freepik

Molly Shepard, Staff Writer

Many students every year are gaining access to social media, and its popularity has been increasing every year. It is now normalized for 7th and 8th graders all over Rio Norte, as well as high school students to use social media during school hours.

Here at Rio Norte, Tiktok, Instagram, and Snapchat are the most popular social media apps used by students. TikTok is a platform where videos are made by creators. These can range from anything, from food videos to concerts to dances. This app is extremely popular with people of all ages.

On Instagram, you can post photos to your followers, or post videos to your story and they will disappear in 24 hours. It’s very popular for news, celebrities, and it’s main purpose is to post photos of yourself and friends. Instagram is for you to communicate with your friends and it’s all about fun.

On Snapchat, you can chat and video chat with your friends. It is also known for the funny and cute filters it has on the camera. You can see where your friends are and you can even see videos just like TikTok posted by creators.

“I love TikTok, but I’ll admit I’m addicted to it.” states 7th grader, Aubrie Jensen. “I think I use Snapchat more than any app although it’s not my favorite app,” she goes on. So far, the voters have chosen Tiktok as their favorite with 50%, Snapchat as their second favorite with 32%, and Instagram with 18% of the votes. Over 4.74 billion people across the world use social media. Over 75% of the world’s population aged 13+ uses social media. In 2022, the number of social media users increased by 4.2%.

At Rio Norte, we use social media in a lot of different ways. For our morning announcements, on Rio TV, all of the videos are on YouTube until the account is deleted. Always remember that whatever you post is there for everyone to see and they can screenshot it to look bad in the future for you in possible future interviews so be safe! Rio Norte has a lot of clubs on Instagram to promote upcoming Junior High schoolers to tell them all about it and for former members to remember everything. Such as @Rioasb, @Rionortetheatre,@Rio.klaws, and @Rionortejhs to represent our school.

Social media is very popular among junior high school students and some may or may not have a favorite platform. For the most part, Tiktok was definitely the most popular among students at Rio Norte. Snapchat came very close as 2nd most popular among those interviewed. Lastly, Instagram came in 3rd place overall.