Oscars 2023

Courtesy of Insider

Vanya Catanzarite, Staff Writer

The Oscars is an award show that honors and recognizes the success of films and all the people who created them. In order to make sure that every aspect of movies gets recognized they have awards for 24 categories. Every year they take place at the Hollywood and Highland Centre in Los Angeles. One of the most notable events that happened at this year’s Oscars is that the Malaysian movie, “Everything Everywhere All at Once” won Best Picture, along with 6 other awards. “Everything Everywhere All at Once” is also the first science fiction movie to win best picture. The movie highlights Asians like Michelle Yeoh, who is the first ever Asian winner of the leading Actress Award. The 6 other awards that “Everything Everywhere All at Once” won were Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Film Editing. This also led to actress and actor Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan winning awards, thanks to the success of the movie.

The first Oscar took place on May 16, 1929, lasted for only 15 minutes and was the only Oscar to not be broadcasted. This means that the Oscars have been going on for around 95 years. Additionally, with this long of a legacy the Oscars have given out 3,140 statues. The Oscars also play an important role in benefiting winning films in terms of money. For example, the show advertises multiple movies that are nominated for awards, you might end up seeing a movie you want to watch. Which earns those already successful movies even more money from you watching them. 

This year’s Oscars took place on March 12, at 5:00 pm. Tom Cruise and Jimmy Kimmel opened for this year’s Oscars and Kimmel ended up making a joke about last year’s Will Smith slap. You would expect last year’s Oscar viewing rates to be higher than this year because of the slap, though that isn’t true. This year’s Oscars had 18.7 million views, which was a 12% increase from last year. Another statistic from this year’s Oscar was that the key age demographic was 18-49.

An important event to note is Ke Huy Quan’s acceptance speech, which left everyone with tears in their eyes. “My mom is 84 years old and she’s at home watching. Mom, I just won an Oscar” Ke Huy Quan then adds, “My journey started on a boat, I spent a year in a refugee camp [in Hong Kong], and somehow, I ended up here, on Hollywood’s biggest stage. They say stories like this only happen in the movies. I cannot believe it’s happening to me. This is the American dream!” A short moment that some people may have missed is Hugh Grant’s appearance on the red carpet. While Hugh Grant was making his way down the red carpet he was asked by Ashley Graham, who is a model/ interviewer, “Who are you wearing?” This is expected by most celebrities, but Hugh Grant decided to just say, “My suit.” and he continued walking. This created an awkward moment for the people that were there to witness, especially for Ashley Graham. One last important event was when Jaime Lee Curtis won her first ever Oscar from her role in, “Everything Everywhere All at Once.” The Oscar that she won was Best Supporting Actress. After coming up on stage and completing her speech Jaime Lee Curtis dedicated her Oscar to her parents. While her parents, Janet Leigh and Tony Curtis, are no longer alive she still wanted to honor their memories, since they were both actors. 62 years later Jaime Lee Curtis actually won the same award that her mother, Janet Leigh, earlier was nominated for. 

According to a statistic done here at Rio Norte, 71.4% of students didn’t watch the Oscars. Though this is suspected due to the key age demographic being 18-49. For the people who did watch the Oscars they can all agree that they enjoyed the show. For some of the people who didn’t watch the Oscars, they found out who won awards online and agreed with the outcome. Mr. Owson, the theater teacher, watched this year’s Oscars. In fact, he watches the Oscars every year. He was happy with the award outcome and there wasn’t a lot that he was surprised about. Within his own classroom he teaches his students with the belief that “With enough hard work and dedication,” they can accomplish anything, including winning an Oscar. Lastly Mr. Owson comments on his favorite part of the Oscars, “I like the acceptance speeches from the underdogs.”  

The Oscars bring out many emotions in people. Whether it’s because of the acceptance speeches given out,  jokes made during the show, or the outcomes of awards. Everyone who watches the award show can agree that the Oscars are entertaining. They award your favorite movies and you can find new ones to watch. You can see your favorite actors talk outside of their roles in movies. Additionally, you can see the geniuses behind the makings of your favorite films. The Oscars provide every need for watching an awards show. Though this leads to the question being asked, what will the next year’s Oscars bring us?