Does Homework Actually Have Benefits?

Does Homework Actually Have Benefits?

Molly Shepard, Staff Writer

Many people may believe that homework is a waste of time, but there have been a few proven theories that homework isn’t all that bad. For example, it teaches students problem-solving skills, how to take responsibility, and time management.

When you go to school, you get homework to practice and reinforce what you have just learned. It may not be your favorite thing to do, but it will affect your future in a positive way. The average high school student doing homework outperformed 68% of the students in a class with no homework. Students may feel like this doesn’t matter but it will help them with skills in the long run.  Homework, a brain training exercise, can also correct weaker skills that you struggle with. It begins with strengthening the brain skills that make it easier to think, learn, and remember things. Research has also shown that excessive homework is associated with high-stress levels, physical health problems, and a lack of balance in children’s lives.

56% of students considered homework a primary source of stress, so when it’s all done it relieves a lot of the stress and makes you feel more organized. Another proven point is that 88% of college students reported their school life to be more stressful than anything else. The biggest stress for students was exams. It’s because it’s the stress of studying and worrying about what you’ll get on the test. If students get too much work, it can do more harm than good. 7th grader Ela Rutkowski, says “ I don’t really like homework, but it doesn’t stress me out.”

While doing homework people often procrastinate by delaying it, but there are some ways to get started and stay focused while doing it. First off,  you should try to break the task down into smaller steps to help get moving and motivated. Then, spend time with people who are focused and can help someone specifically with their problems. Lastly, change your environment if someone can’t focus and move somewhere you feel most comfortable in. You can change your environment to a quiet, reserved place to help study. Removing distractions that affect your focus can also help.

Homework might not be as bad as everyone thought. While doing homework may not be your favorite thing to do, it can help you in the future!